Saturday, August 28, 2010

maybe I could be a Wicca...if it weren't for that devil thing..

It is back to school time, and i find myself feeling guilty that i have my own share of 'dead heads' on my petunias and flower pots.  *another lesson- not everyone has as much free time as I do during the growing season....i am now an '8-5'er" and short on Landscaping Time...sure makes Retirement look good-)
to help with withdrawls from daily yardwork, Jess and I hit the nursery sales and returned with Treasures....
a lovely purple, potato bush/tree ( gotta Google it..too hard to describe- delicate with long thin branches and tiny purple flowers),  left.out.to.die. ground cover, fall pansies to replace my scraggly ones from May, and a NEW, WATER FEATURE!  not too big, 3 wine urns that trickle down from one to the other...the last one...(on sale)..Pip thinks it is his own personal, drinking fountain!
Oh, and a deep, pink large mum, for a now.green. only.flower.bed..-)

I told K2 that i was done blogging, now that school was back in session. She reminded me, "OH no!" you have much to do! Mom, your favorite season is coming up- Halloween ( it is a season in Utah) and you always have your opinions how it should be celebrated".  Soo, I should tell you why i love Halloween Season.

As August SLAMS into September with lightening, thunder, wind and hail, the leaves turn instantly. There is a strange feeling that slinks across the meadows and mountains with long, sun rays, and very quiet afternoons. It is actually cold at night...and DARK at dinner time and when you go to work!!! I get to pull out cute socks ( what not to wear) for school, and flannel pj's that don't have matching bottoms and tops.  My heart skips a beat when i stroll through Michael;s craft shop and it is loaded with orange, red, and black!!  the cuuuutest ghosts and witches, scarecrows and ghouls.  I had to walk with my hands in my pockets- a sure sign that i.am.not.buying.  I feel a connection with Autumn. I like the word "Atumnal Equinox' thinking everything is in balance.  I am a Fall Color person..(think dirt)I think I would like to be a Wiccan... I don't worship Mother Nature, but i sure feel drawn and want to to celebrate her. I am not into the ritual stuff; little dances in the full of the moon, nor meetings. I think it would be cool to have magic potions though..I have a list of things i would do with little viles of spells.  I just like the working with Mother Nature part.. this is a time i look for nymphs, find myself talking to plaster angels and fairies and worrying about bird feeders running empty. I always seem to remember to put my bulbs in on the coldest afternoon before an early fall snow storm!.... I am going to mark where i need some spring color now, so i don't forget when i am shopping..tall purple ones, like Karen's would be cool with the peach ones-)

THEN< I look around, and what do i see? not popcorn popping on the apricot trees,,,not colors, but PLASTIC! INFLATABLE YARD ORNAMENTS,  paper spiders, aaaaannnnddd...Christmas Lights!! Now i know it is a bit different in 'cold country'-Grandma calls it....we do have to get our lights up, as it is too cold, too soon and there is frost on the roof(unsafe) and sudden blizzards at any time...but please do not turn them on for 6 weeks.  If anyone wants cool ideas for Halloween, just shop around Northern Utah- These people know how to decorate for autumn...beautiful orange ceramics, black candle sticks, twinkling lights, and the food....heavy stews and .....too soon! sorry,

There is enough to do, to actually to slow down Halloween Season- The Sheepdog championships in town,  makes you want to shop for sweaters and Uggs, Swiss Days for crafts and presents and then, of course, FOOTBALL!  We have slowed down so much by not traveling the great state of Utah for high school ball games now that Jess has retired from coaching...but still go to the Ute games, 30 years!, and are anxious to see how they do before the big Pac 12 move!! Go Utes!!

Oh, and i probably should not forget to mention School! There is that you know...24-7..kids, schedules, parents, kids, meetings and kids...-)
I will leave this blog with a favorite poem;
September, October, November,
the wonderful months of Fall-
the days are short,
the nights are cool,
and all the kids go back to school-
September, October, November..
(sigh)

4 comments:

  1. What gorgeous photos! Fall is absolutely stunning there. Please PLEASE post pictures of the aspens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog amazes me, fills my heart with joy, puts a smile on my face. It also puts a lump in my throat for some unknown reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the column...have heard the poem somewhere before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kristy! (sorry, I can't stop calling you Kristy as it is permanently and fondly etched in my childhood memories)
    Well it took a while to figure out how to follow a blog! My computer laughs at me every time I hit the BACK button.
    I've only just started to read the latest post, so please don't stop writing just because you're overwhelmed with the responsibilities of 8 to 5.
    I'm trying to send you the latest photo of my dog so you can see how cute she really is and weigh in over her possible "Corgi-ness".
    You have inspired me to actually talk to my horrible neighbor who has the only home in our whole neighborhood which looks like a foreclosure but they still actually live there. He has completely stopped watering his property this summer. The lawns are dead but this is not unusual. Now all of his beautiful trees are turning brown and I've been hanging my hose over the fence to secretly water the ones I can. I've got to reason with this idiot.
    Tim was so proud of his latest conquest; he took on a 20-year-old stump of tumbleweed with his golf club/hatchet and won!!
    More later.
    RS

    ReplyDelete